Monday, January 5, 2009

Skiing (and Sledding) in the Swiss Alps

After our one day rest in Bonn, we headed to Switzerland to Ski in the alps. This was my 3rd time visiting Switzerland and every time I get into the mountains, I'm still amazed at the sight. This time, we were actually ON the mountains not next to them. I still can't believe I'm here!

Marie gave me a bit of her cold, so I've been pretty sick. I was still able to make it sledding and skiing though. Our first day here we decided to ease our way into the Alps by sledding down them. It sounded like a great idea and it probably was if we would have found the sled path.
Unfortunately, we ended up sledding down the ski runs, almost died a few times and when we got to the bottom (2 hours later) we decided that sledding when we were 12 was a lot more fun. ;)

The next day it was time to test our luck skiing. The fear started pouring out of me. When we got to the top of the first ski lift, I thought A: Why is everyone yelling at me, B: Why did I agree to this, and C: Wasn't the last time I went skiing 8 years ago? Well, the reason everyone was yelling at me was because I didn't put the bar down on the ski lift which stops you from falling down the mountains. (I guess I'm not in Michigan anymore) After getting over my fear, I was informed that we still had 2 more lifts to go. We got off the second lift and my luck saved me because the 3rd ski lift was broken and we had to only make our was down from there! Skiing was fun, a little scary, but the views made up for my fear. It took us 4 hours to make it down 4 runs, but we made it. I only had 1 BAD wipeout, but I blame it on Brian since he took me down the equivalent to a triple black diamond at Bittersweet. Brian had a bad fall himself. He lost control and ended up face first in snow on the edge of the mountain, very far away from the ski path. It was scary at first, but then pretty funny!

It was so much fun skiing, but a lot harder than any place I have ever been before. Switzerland is such a beautiful place and I hope I'm lucky enough to come back here again someday. We head back to Bonn tomorrow. We all hope it's an easy drive. Marie and Nick leave on the 7th. :( I wish they could stay here! Luckily Lacy arrives on Friday so I'll have family around until I leave in March!


4 comments:

Fred (Grandpa) said...

It looks like you are having a good time. We used to ski about 40 years ago in Mich.

jacinta25 said...

wow , we wish we were there sking
with you but i think the sledding looks like fun

love mom

Unknown said...

Hey hun, what a great time skiing! You looked great tumbling down the hill! Love you!

Stephanie A. said...

Happy New Year you two! Your pics are great! Your adventures sound amazing!! Can't wait to see more pictures! Keep the stories comin!
Love,
Steph